Late Goryeo – Early Joseon
Overview
Approximately 70 Buildings
33,391㎡
323,117㎡
Hoeamsaji in Yangju is the site of the largest royal temple and a representative Seon Buddhist monastery from the late Goryeo and early Joseon periods.
Approximately 70 building sites have been identified through excavation in the main monastery area, along with monuments to eminent monks who led the revival of Hoeamsa Temple.
The designated zone covers 33,391 square meters, while the protection zone, including the monuments area to eminent monks, amounts to 323,117 square meters.
The exact founding date of Hoeamsa Temple is unknown. However, historical records indicate that it existed since the 12th century.
Following the teachings of Monk Jigong (?–1363) from India, the royal preceptor Naong (1320–1376) rebuilt the temple with 262 rooms in the late 14th century.
King Taejo (1335–1408), the founder of Joseon Dynasty, frequently visited the Hoaemsa Temple, where his royal preceptor Jacho (1327–1405) resided.
After abdicating and becoming the King Emeritus, King Taejo even built his special residency at Hoeamsa Temple.
In the following years, Hoeamsa Temple flourished with extensive patronage from royal figures such as Grand Prince Hyoryeong (1396–1486), Queen Jeonghui (1418–1483), and Queen Munjeong (1501–1565). But the monastery is presumed to have closed down by the end of the 16th century.
