Historic Landmark No. 2
Since there is no record on the foundation of Hwaamsa Temple, It is only assumed. According to Donggukyeojlseungram Volume 2 wnitten in 1174 (the 4th year of King Myeongjong of Goryeo, "An ervoy from Kin Dynasty was received at Hoeamsa Temple." And Bowu Taegowonjeungguksa Boweolseunqqonq Tapbi said that Taegowonjeungguksa Bowu entered the Buddhist priesthood in Hoeamsa Temple at the age of 13.
In this regard, the temple is assumed to exist in the middle of Goryeo Kingdom. Hoeamsa Temple was able to become the today's large Buddhist temple because Goryeo Buddhism established relationship with Jlgong, a Buddhist priest from India. Jigong came to Goryeo in 1328 and thought thet the topography of Hoeamsa Temple is similar to Aranta in India and thet it was a lucky area. Naong, one of disciples of Jigong, rebuilt Hoeamsa Temple for 2 years from 1374 (the 23rd year of King Gongmln). In 1472 (the 3rd year of King Seongjong), Queen Jeonghee,a wife of King Sejo, supported the temple and prospered at the end of Goryeo and early Joseon. Since the great Buddhist Bowu lost power in the era of King Myeongjong, the temple has declined until the early 19th century when it was finally closed down.
There are traces of various seal engravings on which an 8-layer stone embankment was established in a hill in the south of Cheonbo Mountain. There is a tower of relics of Buddha in the ridge of a hill in the north of the temple site, and the current Hoeamsa Temple sits in the valley'located in the west of the ridge.
Road Name Address
Road No.1769, Hwahap-ro, Yangju-si / Old House No. & Street Address : San 14-1, Hoeam- dong